Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sport

So here's Gabrielle and I watching the final game of the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals (Canucks vs. Bruins). We're roughly 3km from 200,000 people watching the game in the street, and we're likely having way more fun than they are. Our fun is measured, though, as the boy next to us in the ICU is struggling to stay alive, and the other nurses tell us that several other children in this ward (along with their families) are knock, knock, knocking.

I don't mean to be a downer (you know, the guy who reminds everyone of the starving children in Africa at the end of a good laugh). I'm posting this more for my own records/memories than anything else, so I can remember how "sport" – while beautiful, exciting, and important in so many ways – originally meant "a pleasant pastime" away back in the 1400's.

sV

3 comments: